The Season of Lent begins this Wednesday, February 10 – Ash Wednesday. As the calendar slowly turns from winter to spring, Christians return to the cross to be forgiven, renewed, and turned wholly toward God. We will observe this very Holy Ash Wednesday with two Communion Services – at 1:00 PM (spoken) and 7:30 PM (with music). Please come and begin the Lenten Journey with your brothers and sisters in Christ.
The Annual Congregational Meeting was held last Sunday, February 7. Our plan to streamline the meeting and get done more quickly went very well. We all sat facing each other around tables with snacks. The total time of the meeting was around one hour. We were “outta there” by 1 PM.
- Kudos were expressed for Norma Fox’s 40 years as custodian
- Gratitude was expressed to Val McGinn and Joe Hlavaty who have completed two terms and are rotating off of Church Council. Their service in so many ways went above and beyond – all volunteer!
- God blessed us with two brand new Church Council members who will be taking over from Val and Joe – Serena Ashmore and Mike
- Ken Anderson, having finished one 3-year term, graciously agreed to serve a second term.
- Other than the reception and highlighting of the usual Annual Reports, there was discussion of background checks for employees and volunteers; the request for new volunteers to organize monthly Coffee Hours in October, November, January, and either March or April (depending on when Easter falls); and the introduction of new fellowship: A Progressive Dinner or more than one, so that we can get to know each other better, especially new members.
- I introduced a “Book of Faith” Challenge to every adult worshiper. A copy of the Book of Faith Challenge can be found here. You will be hearing more about this in the days and weeks ahead.
Additional copies of the full “Bulletin of Reports” are available in the Narthex of the church. Also, 2015 Giving Statements are now completed and available. All in all, this year’s Annual Meeting was quick, painless, and even enjoyable!
Scout Sunday – This Sunday, Valentine’s Day, February 14th at 10:30 AM. At this special service, there will be Girl and Boy Scouts, their parents, and leaders joining us. Several of these participants will assist in the worship service. There will also be a time for food and fellowship after worship, hosted by the Scouts.